Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Marriage: The Base Process


If you missed Part 1 of this series Click Here to view it!


     You're officially a Mrs, and now comes the time to alter all the records on base. Keep the packet of personal information I mentioned in Part 1 with you for this section too! Make sure you have:

  • Certified copy of marriage license**
  • Yours & your Husbands Photo I.D. (Passport, Drivers License, Military I.D)
  • Yours & your Husbands social security cards
  • Yours & your Husbands birth certificates
  • More patience
  • An address to put on file
  • At least 44oz of coffee or more, Part 2 entails lots of waiting :]
     I would suggest bringing ANY and ALL copies of the listed paperwork that you have, old and new, this way they can't throw a fit saying you brought the wrong stuff and you have to start all over!

** The Certified copy of your marriage license is different from the paper copy you received the day you were married. Some states give it to you instantly, some mail it to you, some states you have to go back to the court house and get it. MOST states will give you a free copy if you show your husbands Military I.D. otherwise it may cost $$. We purchased one extra copy at the time, because if you have to order one after the fact it could take 6-8 weeks, just in case.**



Long name, long hours, long lines, YUCK.
     This is mostly to do with your husband, it's where he changes his status with his branch, letting them know he now has a dependent, and will be moving out of the Barracks (generally.) When this is done:

Entitles you to Base Allowance for Housing (BAH)
  • "U.S. based allowance allotted according to geographic duty location, pay grade, and dependency status. It provides Service members equitable housing compensation based on housing costs in local civilian housing markets within the United States when government quarters are not provided."
  • Click Here for more information and a BAH estimator from the DoD website.
Revokes his entitlement to Basic Allowance for Sustenance (BAS)
  • BAS is the allowance allotted according to geographic duty location, and local food prices for Service members that claim no dependents. This is the money that was automatically put on his meal card while he was living in the barracks. This money is provided in place of BAH to offset the cost of food for Service members. 
  • Click Here for more information on BAS from Military.com
Changes his tax information, stating that he is married
  • changing your tax information is different, don't forget!



     This is one of the easier areas, it's fairly straight forward. They will ask for your personal information, to put in the system, take your picture and then print out your I.D. Card. Make sure you look good! Remember its a black and white picture generally so go easy on the make up but look fresh. The lighting (at least when I went) was basically a bare light bulb at an odd angle for your face. It accentuated the bags under my eyes and my hair looked horrendous because I was in need of a root re-touch. I was deathly sick when I went to get my I.D. picture taken but I couldn't go to the Hospital until I was enrolled in TRICARE, which requires the benefit number on the back of your I.D. card. Q.E.D. I look like a monster in my I.D. picture, my face is even a little swollen. Ew. I hate showing the card to anybody, and hubby makes fun of me for it, its worse than my drivers license.  I DON'T WANT YOU TO BE LIKE ME!!! As a previous Makeup Artist (and a fellow MilSO) I would sugguest:

  • Natural looking makeup
  • Simple eye shadow, maybe even just a bold liner with accented lashes
    • a.k.a not blue, a heavy smoky eye, or eyeliner everywhere
  • Nude (NOT PALE lips)
    • No lip gloss or shine, it reflects weird
  • Light blush and Bronzer accordingly
    • This will contour your face so it doesn't look washed out and flat
I can produce a video or picture tutorial for what this would look like, and how to achieve it, if you are interested just let me know through email or through a comment on this post.



     Our Tricare Enrollment Center was in the same building as the I.D. card center so we just went there right after, they will ask a few questions, for an address etc. Then you're done! Your DoD Benefit number is on the back of your I.D. card, you will need it to sign up for an online account with Tricare.


     Tricare Prime is a different program from the standard Tricare you will be signed up for. Added benefits, lower or no copays and is definitely something worth looking into. I will expand on this in another post because its alot to explain, there is lots of information online and you can always call the Tricare Information Line for more information


My husband is a Marine, if your husband is in a different branch and their process is different, please let me know! I would like these articles to be helpful for everybody, not just Marine Milsos!





**DISCLAIMER** Please remember that everything I post is based off of my experiences, research and opinions. The information is liable to change at anytime, as is this policy. If you have anything you would like to add or if you have had a different experience that you think should be added to a post, including if there are different protocols for different branches, please feel free to contact me at wifeyofamarine@gmail.com or through my contact page.

No comments:

Post a Comment